[M3devel] AMD64_LINUX snapshots available, without garbage collection

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 00:09:36 CEST 2008

Now available at http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/index.html

  cm3-min-POSIX-AMD64_LINUX-d5.7.0.tar.bz2
  cm3-min-POSIX-AMD64_LINUX-d5.7.0.tar.bz2

With some MAJOR caveats:

formsedit crashes
I haven't run most of the binaries.
Juno comes up.
Calculator comes up.
It builds itself -- cm3 works.
cm3cg is x86 hosted, can target x86 or AMD64 with -m32 or -m64.
cm3 is AMD64 hosted.

GARBAGE COLLECTION IS TURNED OFF via a one line hack in RTCollector.m3.
Turning it on crashes, not always in the same place.
This needs to be debugged.

This in a cminstall-less form, made with scripts/python/make-dist.py
  and manually patched to have Linux.common.

I have not yet tried m3tests.
I will shortly.

I also have TextLiteral.i3 locally changed to enable building from a 32 bit cm3.
Not a big deal, but if you are a stickler for binaries matching source..

If anyone else wants to debug the crashes with the garbage collector enabled, be my guest.
An easy repro is to build in m3-win/import-libs with cm3 -trace.
I assume -trace just causes more stuff to occur, more time to pass.

I didn't handle Uin.i3/Uucontext.i3 yet, hm.

This target is easily bootstrapped using x86 tools on an AMD64 system.
(ie: cm3; cm3cg as I said is still x86).
Hopefully soon I'll bring up platforms that don't have this 'cheat' available. :)

I do like:

 su
 cd /
 rm -rf /cm3
 tar xvf /cm3-min-POSIX-AMD64_LINUX-d5.7.0.tar.bz2
 cp -Rpv cm3-min-POSIX-AMD64_LINUX-d5.7.0 /cm3
 chown -R jay:jay /cm3
export PATH=$PATH:/cm3/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/cm3/lib

However those are wrong if the paths are empty. They add the current working directory to the path if so, since "empty" is equivalent to ".", unfortunately. It should just be skipped/ignored but oh well.

I am using Ubuntu 8.4 Hardy Heron.
(Xubuntu, that was disappointing, so then apt-get-install kde or such)