[M3devel] new platform names (for actual new platforms)

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat May 24 07:11:50 CEST 2008

Do people object to new platform names like:
  PPC32_OPENBSD    SPARC32_OPENBSD    SPARC32_LINUX

?
For that matter, anyone consider spelling out POWERPC32_OPENBSD?
?
Seriously I am far along on PPC32_OPENBSD and SPARC64_OPENBSDand once those work, I figure I'll try to flesh out Linux, NetBSD,FreeBSD on ppc32/sparc/sparc64. So this isn't just hypothetical
debate about platform names.

At some point it almost seems like there's a 2 dimensional matrixand the support should be processor and OS, somewhat independent..well, it is kind of like in parts already.

Should I really stick more like:  PPC_OPENBSD   SPARC_LINUX   SPARC64_LINUX    etc.?
64bits isn't so unusual now, that 32bits isn't so automatically implied???
That's kind of my point. Not putting in "32" or "64" used to imply "32" but
now seems almost ambiguous. ?
(Linux doesn't really still support 32 bit SPARC kernels, butdefinitely 32 bit userland; in fact it looks like SPARC Linuxis mostly 32 bit userland, and SPARC64 OpenBSD is purely 64 bit,not even gcc -m32)
I'd still kind of like to rename stuff like to  I386_NT, I386_LINUX, I386_CYGWIN, I386_MINGWIN, SPARC_SOLARIS_SUN,  SPARC_SOLARIS_GNU, alas...