[M3devel] Still can't bootstrap cm3

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Thu Nov 13 16:45:34 CET 2008

Olaf Wagner wrote:

> it's not easy to understand what has gone wrong at this point.
> Usually, if you have a working system, cm3/scripts/upgrade.sh
> should be able to bootstrap to a new set of sources. This is tested
> every day in the tinderbox release tests, too. As the last builds seem
> to have succeeded, I don't think there is a real problem in our
> code base currently. You may want to have a look at test_build_current
> in cm3/scripts/regression/defs.sh to see what's done in the regression
> builds.
>
> I'd suggest you either start again from the last release or
> one of the latest snapshots available from the build machine.

Yes, that's what I always end up doing.  But it would be nice to be
able someday to get my local compiler to rebuild itself :-(.

But even that is not working for me.  Reinstalling a snapshot from
2008-6-6 and a fresh cvs checkout, upgrade.sh gives the missing
.M3EXPORTS failure, and do-cm3-core.sh (after realclean) gets bad
version stamps on Compiler.Platform and Compiler.ThisPlatform,
while compiling SocketPosix.m3.

Going to the most recent (at the time) snapshot of 2008-11-12,
do-cm3-core.sh will run without failures, but leaves a compiler
that always gets the undefined ROOT failure, even trying to compile
a trivial program.

> I assume you are not building a cross compiler, but just trying
> to perform an upgrade.

That's right.  The only reason I messed with the cross scripts was that
I hoped they might take care of the necessary bootstrapping in a way
the would work.