[M3devel] Still can't bootstrap cm3

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:37:47 CET 2008

Randy, ROOT not being defined is a function of your config files.
Look at mine. Mine are willing to ferry it from an environment variable.
The various scripts figure it out and set it on the command line.
 e.g. sysinfo.sh

Granted..I don't think ROOT is supposed to be required.
ROOT is the root of the source tree, as you correctly?successfully worked around.
You are supposed to be able to use the compiler without a source tree.
But you can't, um, build the source tree without a source tree.

I am very tempted to have cm3.exe set ROOT itself,
but it is a bit inappropriate actually.

PERHAPS if it was renamed CM3_ROOT...

Olaf isn't saying "just use a current release", he is
saying "start with a current release" and then try to build locally.

You cannot necessarily bootstrap from arbitrarily old releases.
But you should definitely be able to bootstrap from current snapshots.

It does work.

Whenever you get into a "bad state" -- after any failed run,
I encourage you to blow away the entire cm3 install and "start over".

Several "partial builds" will leave you with a "mixed state".

Some of the scripts do or used to "backup" the pkg store,
but I don't think it was worth the effort...the effort I put
in to clone the .sh in .cmd. I think I punted doing that in the *.py,
and I don't miss it.

I also recommend trying the *.py files.

> that always gets the undefined ROOT failure, even trying to compile> a trivial program.
Hm. Could be your config file wants it?
Could be my config files wants it?
I guess the usual refrain -- send us your config file(s).
I can dig more later..maybe days..busy with other stuff..

 - Jay> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:45:34 -0600> From: rodney> To: m3devel> Subject: Re: [M3devel] Still can't bootstrap cm3> > Olaf wrote:> > > > it's not easy to understand what has gone wrong at this point.> > Usually, if you have a working system, cm3/scripts/upgrade.sh> > should be able to bootstrap to a new set of sources. This is tested> > every day in the tinderbox release tests, too. As the last builds seem> > to have succeeded, I don't think there is a real problem in our> > code base currently. You may want to have a look at test_build_current> > in cm3/scripts/regression/defs.sh to see what's done in the regression> > builds.> > > > I'd suggest you either start again from the last release or> > one of the latest snapshots available from the build machine.> > Yes, that's what I always end up doing. But it would be nice to be> able someday to get my local compiler to rebuild itself :-(.> > But even that is not working for me. Reinstalling a snapshot from> 2008-6-6 and a fresh cvs checkout, upgrade.sh gives the missing> .M3EXPORTS failure, and do-cm3-core.sh (after realclean) gets bad> version stamps on Compiler.Platform and Compiler.ThisPlatform,> while compiling SocketPosix.m3.> > Going to the most recent (at the time) snapshot of 2008-11-12,> do-cm3-core.sh will run without failures, but leaves a compiler> that always gets the undefined ROOT failure, even trying to compile> a trivial program.> > > I assume you are not building a cross compiler, but just trying> > to perform an upgrade.> > That's right. The only reason I messed with the cross scripts was that> I hoped they might take care of the necessary bootstrapping in a way> the would work.> > > > > Daily snapshots are available from> > http://www.opencm3.net/snaps/snapshot-index.html> > > > I hope this helps,> > > > Olaf> > > >