[M3devel] Help finding CM3 compiler for Linux?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Apr 1 11:11:53 CEST 2009

Quoting Mika Nystrom <mika at async.caltech.edu>:

> Is there any documentation for this format beyond what you just
> wrote?  Where?

Well, yes, that's the problem with these kinds of archives:

  (1) they're not well tested and
  (2) there's no documentation user's can rely on

This doesn't mean that I disapprove or want to criticise the contributors,
but an official well-documented release with installation notes etc.
has some advantages. Unfortunately, the official releases are really
outdated now.

I succeeded in building current AMD64_LINUX and FreeBSD4 installations
on our servers for d5.7.1 tonight and was able to build archives for
FreeBSD binaries and sources, but the tooling failed for AMD64_KINUX
due to changed and missing configuration files. I'll need to have a
closer look at that, some extensions seem to be needed. Anybody who
feels he can do that faster than me is of course encouraged (I'll have
little time as usual :-/).

It may also turn out to be difficult to produce LINUXLIBC6 binaries,
as birch and other Elego servers are now 64 bit machines, and trying
to use current CM3 with --32 produced lots of assembler errors about
unsupported instructions on this architecture. As the old installation
on birch seems to be gone without a chance of being restored, it will
probably be easiest to use a real 32 bit system and start from 5.4.0
again.

Anybody who wants to help should be able to build the binary
archives for LINUXLIBC with cm3/scripts/make-bin-dist-min.sh
easily and upload them to birch at

   /var/www/modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives

My guess is that tinderbox will take some time to run smoothly again,
as it was highly customized, and I'm not sure if these customizations
survied the crash.

Please stay tuned and thanks for all your patience,

Olaf