[M3devel] What happened to Utypes.i3?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 8 12:44:09 CEST 2009

m3-libs/m3core/src/Unix/*/*.i3 was a very large chunk of tedious error-prone dangerous (if errors occur) mostly dead platform specific code. It was one of the largest things to work on when porting to a new platform, and largely wasted work. (The other pieces are debugging whatever goes wrong, that's about it, porting is often pretty easy..)

It is drastically reduced now, and often replaced by much safer C code.

There is still a little more to do here.

dev_t, mode_t, ino_t, were mosty only used along with stat.

Those uses are gone.

This is the exact danger however -- of breaking Modula-3 code outside the cm3 tree, that uses "low level" non-Modula-3 interfaces.

Anything that just uses the higher level Modula-3 interfaces is not broken.

I'll have to look at cvsup and see if it is easy to make the same sort of transform -- replace small pieces of Modula-3 that are dependent on tedious error prone Modula-3 with small portable C wrappers.

If the only problem is really those three types, they can be restored, reluctantly.

I'd much rather change cvsup to not use them.

 - Jay