[M3devel] HEADS UP: Release engineering, was: Re: CM3 Release

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Apr 11 11:26:11 CEST 2009

Quoting Martin Bishop <martinbishop at bellsouth.net>:

> A few days ago there was more talk of a proper "release" for CM3.  I
> think this is very important.

I second that.

I'll try to start the release engineering now, as nobody else seems
to volunteer ;-)

We have two options here though: we can either

  (a) agree on a code freeze (beginning at some date we need to agree upon)
  (b) create a release branch immediately

Code freeze would mean that nobody commits any major new functionality
any more, but all commits concentrate on fixing bugs in some set of
release candiates.

I'd rather avoid creating a branch too early, as that means more work
by selecting and merging fixes from trunk to branch. So here my questions:

  o Do we all agree on a temporary code freeze?
  o When should we start? I.e. wha changes would you like to complete
    before we start the release process?

Please let me know your opinions,

Olaf