[M3devel] HEADS UP: Release engineering, was: Re: CM3 Release

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 11 14:19:37 CEST 2009

 > > o When should we start? I.e. wha changes would you like to complete
 > > before we start the release process?

 I'd like to see the formsvbt crash debugged and fixed, unless I'm the only one seeing it.

 I only see it on Solaris and PPC_DARWIN but haven't tried "everything".

 I'll try to get this.

I'd also like to see:

  FreeBSD/x86 switched to the new Unix/*.i3 files. I'll do this.

    Maybe also I386_DARWIN, AMD64_DARWIN, but I don't have the hardware.

  $ORIGIN/LD_LIBRARY_PATH resolved a bit further, probably very little work  (I'll do this).

  Basically just 1) put buildlocal back how it was 2) push it across more platforms e.g. I think FreeBSD/x86 is the main one missing, but I'll get to it.

  cvsup building and in "std"  (I'll do this, probably very little left here really.

  -- beyond this, not required for release --

  Maybe more AMD64 releases, e.g. NetBSD and Solaris. (If I get to it).

   (could be "mingw64" is good enough to try AMD64_NT now).

  Maybe update gmp/mpfr to fix the "maintainer" problem. (not likely by me)

  Maybe more new/resuscitated platforms..HPPA64_HPUX, IA64_*, *_VMS, ALPHA_*, ARM_*, *_IRIX, *_AIX, MIPS64_*.... but these take back seat to important fixes in existing platforms.

  Fix NT386 to use setjmp3 instead of setjmp so exceptions don't skip C __finally blocks. I've just been very lazy here, should demonstrate the behavior with a test case, then fix it..

  Maybe fix cm3cg so other -g options besides -gstabs works, like plain -g, -ggdb, on at least one platform -gstabs isn't supported, leaving nothing, because others cause internal compiler errors, like on HPPA64_HPUX.

  Oh, and NT386GNU probably switched back to Win32 threads. Otherwise one of the test cases hangs and it doesn't look easy to figure out. I'll do this shortly if I remember.

 But I also wouldn't mind if this platform isn't officially released either (unless someone else wants to support it).

 Debug why many NT386MINGNU gui apps crash..but also probably just don't release this platform and ok asis.