[M3devel] FW: cvsup

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Apr 13 17:08:54 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:34:49AM +0000, Jay wrote:

> [truncated again..]
>
>  cvsup builds and starts up on a few platforms now,
>  including Cygwin/x86, Linux/x86, Linux/AMD64 (birch),
>  Macosx/PowerPC, FreeBSD/x86. I  can verify more later..
>

>  I expect there might be problems on Macosx/x86 and AMD64.
>  And FreeBSD/x86 might not work until I commit the change to use Unix/common.
>  That is -- these are the only platforms not using Unix/common.
>

>  Some platforms store extra "flags" with files -- Darwin and *BSD.
>     see man chflags and man 2 chflags.
>  Historically cvsup only get/sets those on FreeBSD.
>  I extended that to the others, though didn't build NetBSD/OpenBSD.
>  (nor have I tested any of the functionality at all..)
>  The source should be refactored some in this regard, the "FreeBSD"
>  directory split into "FreeBSD" and "flags" or something. But
>   I don't like moving files since history might not track well.
>  (I also chose "m3-tools" arbitrarily..)
>

>  It might not even have to be refactored -- instead of the static platform checks, the code can check of the #defines in Ustat are zero or not, and UstatC.c can provide empty chflags/fchflags functions instead of none at all. It's a tricky area though in terms of what is best, providing no functions, vs. providing functions that do nothing and succeed, vs. providing functions that do nothing and fail, vs. providing a more explicit way to query if the functionality is provided, as well as deciding between build-time vs. run-time checks (we don't have anything like autoconf in our system, for better and worse).
>

>  Now hopefully we can switch to svn or monotone and cvsup won't matter to us. :)
>  (Well, I never use it in any case. I know it is big in FreeBSD-land.)

Yes, monotone...  I'm trying to organise putting together the monotone
repository, and it seems that the first thing to do is to get a local
copy of the existing modula 3 CVS repository to experiment on.  There
are at least two ways to go about putting the monotone repository
together, on of them seems to requre me to have a local copy of the
repository.

I suspect I need to get cvsup running to make this local copy of the
CVS.  Where should I get cvsup?  (It doesn't seem to be distributed as a
Debian package; perhaps that's because Modula 3 ins't either?)  Did you
make changes to cvsup to get it to work on current versions of Modula 3?
If so I should probably get the changed version.

Or else maybe someone could make a .tgz file out of the entire cm3 CVS
and I could download and work with that?

-- hendrik