[M3devel] the beauty of a C backend..

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 10 23:10:02 CEST 2009

The beauty of a C backend..
We'd just release source and be done.
No platform build matrix -- only what we'd test.
Leave all the less used architectures to their users.
Leave all the packaging to the distribution packaging people.
Maybe use autoconf for some of the platform specific stuff, though we have very little anyway.

You know, you don't see binary packages for many
projects provided by their owners, and then not for many architectures.
You know, we'd just do like NT/x86, Linux/x86, maybe Linux/amd64, and that'd be it.
Anyone running anything else is an advanced or unusual user.
(the x86 packages would generally work on the popular AMD64 machines, anyone wanting
native could build from source)