[M3devel] targeting kernel instead of libc/pthreads?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 11 07:37:34 CEST 2009

Does anyone
 - like the idea
 - can work on implementing

Modula-3 threads over one/some/all of the kernel interfaces?
In particular on Linux pthreads are usermode layer over something else.

If we targeted the kernel interface, we could ignore uclibc vc. glibc vc. newlib.

On the flip side -- is pthreads viable on non-NPTL kernels?
  It's not like the C interfaces weren't there.
Or is Modula-3 sensitive to the odd semantics?
Or is it just slightly or much too slow?

Just throwing ideas out..