[M3devel] How to compile system from (modified) source?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Aug 25 03:36:10 CEST 2009

I downloaded the complete source tree via cvs.

I downloaded some of the RC3 archives.

I start with an empty /usr/local/cm3.

I install the core and RC3 gui archives.

I make a copy of the source tree so as not to mess with the original.

I make small changes to ButtonVBT.i3 and ButtonVBT.m3

I run the script do-cm3-std.sh

It fails in odbc.

I figure maybe I don;t have the right db stuff on my system and modify
do-cm3-std.sh by removing all packages having anything to do with db.
Hereby I replace toe command P=`lots of stuff`
by P="long list of packages"

I obtained the long list by sticking an echo $P into the script, copying
the result into the script, and removing odbc postgres95 db smalldb
stablegen stable

Now I rerun the script.  The package I modified appears to compile
withoug problems.  In fact, the script seems to compile everything but
doesn't seem to ship anything.  Aha!  I forgot to say "ship".

Now I rerun again, specifying "ship".  Almost all package fails to ship
with the message:
    package was built with overrides, not shipping.

How am I supposed to do this.

-- hendrik