[M3devel] cminstall too many errors if not root, in fact maybe infinite

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 30 11:05:33 CEST 2009

It bugs me how many packages there are -- too much to test.

So I'll test just a few.

Starting with cm3-bin-min-SOLsun-5.8.3-RC3.tgz:

./cminstall

 => endless stream of

Unable to create directory: /usr/local/cm3

./cminstall  | wc -l

 => I've been waiting a while and it hasn't terminated.

As I've said before, cminstall doesn't do much and doesn't do it well.

Granted, claiming that nothing is needed here is a stretch.

If I go ahead and in another console as root mkdir /usr/local, no progress.

mkdir /usr/local/cm3.

Then it stops with:

Unexpected problem: Unable to open the log file: /usr/local/cm3/Install.log: errno=13

Please feel free to contact m3-support at elego.de to troubleshoot this problem.

Now, I understand that refusing to run as non-root is not the solution.

-bash-3.00$ ./cminstall --help

Unexpected problem: Unrecognized option: --help

Please feel free to contact m3-support at elego.de to troubleshoot this problem.

I'll fix that.