[M3devel] package groups question

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Aug 1 23:03:18 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:51:41PM -0700, jay.krell at cornell.edu wrote:
> | From what I've gleaned in the discussions and the current
> documentation, I think most everyone has settled on the idea of having
> 2 "binary" distributions for this release:  "min" and "std".
> >

> Really? How about just "std" and don't even label it as such? How many
> expert users are clamoring for "min"?
>
> There was actually a push for several non overlaping package sets and
> Olaf did work for that. But I'm not sure that is worth it.

The packages probably shouldn't overlap (at least if we want them to be
adopted by Linux distributions, whose installers know about package
dependencies)

But there are packages that should be optional.  There's no way I'm
going to be able to install Xorg on a text-only machine just so I can
install cm3 because, say, Trestle is part of the standard package and
it's compiled for X.

-- hendrik