[M3devel] HEADS UP: cm3.cfg locations, was: Re: problems with cm3.cfg and MxConfig

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Aug 3 23:29:36 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 08:59:26PM +0200, Darko Volaric wrote:
> Putting it in /etc would mean that having different active versions of
> compiler would e a pain, which is useful when developing, debugging or
> trying out new versions of the compiler and when compilers are not
> self hosted, which will be the case for ARM_DARWIN.
>
> What's the benefit of having it /etc other than being "standard"?

Things in /etc/ are things that a system administrator might want to
tweak.  At least that was the idea originally.  These options we're
talking about seem somewhat different, in that they are tightly bound
with the software itself.  I say they are more like executable code than
like configuration files.  If a Debian user were to install cm3.deb,
they had damn well point to the place the package put the compiler and
friends.  I don't see the being usefully modified at all on a user's
machine..

So, I'd say, look in /etc if some architecture policeman forces it;
otherwise treat the so-called configuration as if it were part of the
executable, in .../cm3/... .

The environment variables are another good place to look, because that
makes it easy to experiment with multiple systems on one machine.

-- hendrik