[M3devel] HEADS UP: cm3.cfg locations, was: Re: problems with cm3.cfg and MxConfig

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 4 00:05:27 CEST 2009

I have to admit there is a mix of "clearly almost always correct, maybe really always" and "perhaps user editable code" in there.

I have hoped for no user editing but can't claim I got there, due to the library issues as you say, and maybe even -gstabs vs. -gstabs+ vs. -g, etc. -- heck maybe user wants slightly smaller binaries and doesn't mind slight loss of debugging, and doesn't want to strip afterward.

I did try to find "fairly canonical" places for libraries, such as wherever the platform package system installs things, but ultimately you can build yourself and get /usr/local instead of /usr/pkg, etc.

A possible solution is for the cm3.cfg file itself to probe, "at certain well defined points" for "certain well defined data", as well as leaving things not readonly.

For example at the very end it might probe for $HOME/etc/cm3.cfg and /etc/cm3.cfg and include them if they exist, or just the first.

I also don't want to get into the business of merging these files on user machines, either automatically or making people do it. I guess we are in the second situation now however.

A partial approach is to move more of the code into cm3, perhaps merely as Quake snippets, but that is perhaps overkill.