[M3devel] /etc/cm3.cfg (was: HEADS UP: cm3.cfg locations, was: Re: problems with cm3.cfg and MxConfig)

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Aug 4 17:22:56 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 10:44:24AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>:
>
> >On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 08:40 +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> >>Well, this is just a matter of the correct contents of the
> >>configuration
> >>files then. Jay has tailored the suite to be located in .../cm3
> >>currently. Nobody stops you to set PKG_INSTALL and other variables
> >>at the top level. If you use a 'non-standard' setup, then the files
> >>must be adapted.
> >
> >Figured it all out.. As cm3.cfg is twoliner, I've only created it from
> >my RPM recipe with exact PKG_INSTALL location...
> >
> >Another question... While here... is there a separation of runtime and
> >development packages in RELENG process?
>
> Not really.
>
> The only real `runtime package' we currently have would be
> cm3-ws-bin-min..., containing m3core and libm3.
>
> But then you'r probably thinking of `binary' packages and
> `source packages', aren't you? M3 doesn't really do these distinctions...

The distinction is what you need to run an executable image that uses
libraries, versus what you need to compile things using them.  M3 may
not enable you to compile a library-using application without the
library source code, but it should enable you to run the compiled code
without it.

That said, for the current release, I don't see it to be important to
make the distinctio for the current release.  It's more important to
make available something up-to-date and reliably usable out soon so that
people can use it.

-- hendrik