[M3devel] CM3 Release Engineering and Feedback

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Aug 13 14:49:12 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:38:06PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:
>
> >On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:10:38AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> >> o There hasn't been much feedback, neither from the list of active
> >>   developers nor from end users for RC2. I'd really appreciate some
> >>   more reports about installation attempts and the problems encountered.
> >
> >Well, I'll provide more with the next RC.  The hudson directory was
> >pretty much a show-stopper.  I'd expect the same problem to be there on
> >the other platforms.
>
> The simple work-around would be to call cm3 -build on the packages
> again, which should only adapt the broken .M3SHIP files.
>
> I've added a check to make-dist.sh which should prevent such
> accidents in the future. Probably something slightly different
> will then remain undetected though ;-)
>
> But never mind, I'll try to build some RC3 packages for AMD64_LINUX
> at least at the weekend.
>
> >> o There's still the open discussion about the location and search
> >>   strategy for config files where no conclusion or agreement has
> >>   been reached as far as I know.
> >
> >As long as
> > (1) it is found in a platform-standard place, and
> > (2) there's an easy way for a user to override this via command-line
> >parameter or environment variable,
> >the further details probably don't matter that much.
>
> I had the impression that there were decidedly different and
> contradicting opinions on that matter. Maybe I mistook that though.

There may be.  But as long as what's implemented meets these criteria, I
don't think further details matter as much as havein a release out.
The requirement that the standard config file is in a platform-standard
place will require platform-dependent code somewhere.  But as long as
we still put everything in /usr/local/cm3, there's not all that
much to be done.

Getting Modula 3 into Debian will require us to be fussy, though.  But I
didn't think that was teh goal for this release.

> >>There are also still the Elego ComPact and DCVS M3 packages which
> >>I started to review for publishing long ago, but have never had
> >>the time and energy to finish. I won't promise anything though.
> >
> >What are these DCVS packages?
>
> A distributed version of CVS. It's already available, but I'd like
> to add some or all of the M3 packages to CM3. The distribution part
> is mainly based on an extended CVSup. There were more interesting
> features added to CVS like snapshots and changesets, too.

It seems that migration to DCVS might be easier than migration to
monotone or svn or ...

-- hendrik