[M3devel] CM3 Release Engineering and Feedback

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Aug 13 17:35:41 CEST 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:38:06PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> >What are these DCVS packages?
>>
>> A distributed version of CVS. It's already available, but I'd like
>> to add some or all of the M3 packages to CM3. The distribution part
>> is mainly based on an extended CVSup. There were more interesting
>> features added to CVS like snapshots and changesets, too.
>
> It seems that migration to DCVS might be easier than migration to
> monotone or svn or ...

It wasn't my intention to suggest such a migration, nor would I
recommend it. I still think CVS is sufficient for our requirements,
but if developers want something newer or better we should try Subversion
or Perforce or indeed one of the distributed tools like git or
mercurial etc. Though I don't really see the advantages of such
a tool for our use.

Migration would be easy though, as DCVS is only an extension of CVS,
so the actual database does not need to be changed, except for the
administrative data.

Olaf