[M3devel] CM3 web presentation

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 15 14:14:53 CEST 2009

Please just use white on black or black on white.

The old was ugly.
Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon before my time, but all this use of color seems gratuitous.

Black on white or white on black would be best imho.

mostly black and white:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/
  http://www.debian.org/

almost black and white:
  gray text, some orange text, white background
  http://www.netbsd.org/

blue text, white background:
 http://www.redhat.com/

some black on white, some blue on white
 http://news.cnet.com/

sort of black on white, and some black on gray
  www.apple.com

blue text on white background:
 blue is links, lots of them, but then articles are black on white
 www.cnn.com

If you want to be unusual I would suggest
  white or green on black.

If you want to be normal I would suggest
  black on white, except links end up other, I guess blue

I was taught that blue is to be avoided in general,
because of its longish wave length it focuses poorly.
I don't know why purple wasn't indicted the same, maybe
it isn't popular? Blue IS my favorite color, but I do
avoid it for this very reason.
My grandmother didn't like knitting in blue for this reason.

I'm amazed at the frequent occurences of blue in
large swaths such as Apple and KDE desktop themes.
I think PowerShell gets this wrong too.

Also while super high contrast can be or seem bright,
 introduction of colors and shades and grays tends to
 imho unnecessarily reduce contract.

The default Windows cmd scheme is actually gray almost
 white text on a black background. I change it to white.

red (devil/daemon theme)
 http://www.freebsd.org/

 - Jay