[M3devel] Fwd: Could you post this for me on m3devel

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Aug 24 18:47:42 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 05:36:46PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:

> Object: A more precise question about M3 licensing
>
> From what I gathered so far on this thread, the SRC licence was quite a bit
> more liberal than the FSF license, which led to this "separate process"
> business for the code generation phase, which displeased the FSF somewhat.
> ;-)

As far as I know, the problem is that the SRC licence was restrictive at
one point that conflicted with the FSF licence.  In particular, you
had to grant SRC the ability to do anything whatsoever with anything you
added or modified in the system.  That is a restriction on how you can
redistribute -- a restriction more severe than the FSF licence allows..

But there's nothing preventing any of us from releasing your own code
under multiple licences, including the FSF one.

Even if you link directly to FSF code and distribute binaries, and
aggregate your source with FSF code more intimately than "mere
aggregation", nothing prevents you from licencing your code under as
many different licences as you want in addition to the FSF one.

But without SRS's say-so, we can't do it to their code.

-- hendrik