[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Dec 1 09:31:21 CET 2009

There certainly is such a campain in general.

It has a few "labels".

  Posix

  glibc

  BSD sockets

  Mono

  stdio.h

  gcc

  As well as "Linux" and "NT".

The challenge then is weaving your way around options such as:

  chosing a very small number of systems, e.g. just NT

  chosing a very small number of features, e.g. stdio.h

  layering on some interface that you believe you can implement on top of multiple other systems

   e.g. Thread.i3, ThreadWin32.m3, ThreadPThread.m3

   with various qualities, costs (maintenance, performance), etc.

   e.g. Trestle

   e.g. garbage collection (esp. when combined with Thread.i3)

There is no one easy answer here.

It helps that "chosing a very small number of systems" is a popular choice, thereby narrowing the field,

unless you are/were one of the less popular systems. :)

 - Jay