[M3devel] apsl? (Apple source license?)

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 11 09:28:06 CET 2009

Can we add Apple APSL-licensed code into the Modula-3 libraries?
In particular, like, _setjmp.h?
Or maybe even the get/set/make/swapcontext code?

It looks me like ASPL is:
  "not viral" -- it does not impact the code it is linked to, mostly
  It carries with it an "advertising clause", which is somewhat viral.
  That is, you have to state you are using APSL code, and you might have to reveal
   that specific code (unknown) but there are no additional restrictions
    on code it is linked with.

Upon further reading..
  The license discusses "original code" and "modified code".
  If code is modified, it must be clearly marked as such. Reasonable, but annoying.
  If you modify the code, you do have to distribute it with binaries. Mildly viral.
  If you don't modify the code, you don't have to distribute any source. Good.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html

(I wish everyone would just use the BSD license...but oh well..)