[M3devel] CM3 on Win32 (MinGW)

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 17 08:35:43 CET 2009

(ps: more complete list:

NT386GNU:
 gcc backend
 gcc for C compiler
 gcc/GNU ld for linker
 cygwin C runtime
 X windows
 pthreads
 forward slashes on paths
 debuggable with gdb ("stabs" debug format)
   or printf..

NT386MINGNU
 gcc backend
 gcc for C compiler
 gcc/GNU ld for linker
 MS C runtime (provided by mingw's gcc)
 I think debuggable with gdb. ("stabs" debug format)
   or printf..
 Win32 windows
 Win32 threads
 backwards slashes on paths, or forward

NT386:
  integrated backend -- very fast
  no 64 bit LONGINT
  Visual C++ compiler/linker/runtime
  Win32 thread/windows
  backwards slashes on paths, or forward
  debugable with Visual Studio/cdb/ntsd/windbg ("CodeView" debug format), not gdb
   or printf..
)

The various factors are mixable/matchable to SOME extent, but they aren't tested, they might be confusing, and they don't all work necessarily.
These are "friendly" names to encompass a set of underlying factors.
I think I386_NT or I386_MSWIN, I386_CYGWIN, I386_MINGWIN might be better names.
(I would avoid saying "WIN32" anywhere, due to Windows also running on IA64 and AMD64).