[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Wed Jan 14 00:11:36 CET 2009

On 14 Jan 2009, at 01:54, Jay wrote:

>  > fix for old compilers that can't compile LONGINT: define
> LongRep.T = INTEGER
>
> Is that what bootstrapping should do?
>  Automate that little patch for the first pass and undo it in the
> second?
>  Then always building in dependency order?

I would prefer to get all the bootstrap archives LONGINT-capable.
Just do the patch by hand to build the initial archives and then
forget about it.

> Tonight I was trying to build from PPC_DARWIN 5.5.0.
> I figured, heck, maybe it supports LONGINT already, maybe I should
> just try
> building up in dependency order.
> But then I hit the problem of Compiler.i3 mismatch due to new targets.

> So...is that correct?
> Does building in dependency order predictably fail if compiler has
> fewer targets than runtime?
> But starting with existing m3core/libm3 and first building the
> compiler against them predictably works?

Yes, it works.

> I've added targets a bunch and usually don't have a problem, but I
> can't say for certain what
> order I do things when I do this.
> Certainly "upgrade.py skipgcc" is something I run fairly often.
> It is very fast on NT386 (and unlike upgrade.sh, it doesn't build
> all of std).

Sounds like your upgrade script

> For now I put in two small hacks to sysutils, so it works with old
> m3core.

No!  I did not want to do have this hack.  Let's just fix the boot
archives to handle new m3core and have sysutils work as expected.  The
alternative is to fold sysutils into m3core, where it can be used
directly.  That might be a better solution given the dependency.
Thoughts?