[M3devel] M3devel Digest, Vol 33, Issue 25

Peter Eiserloh eiserlohpp at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 20:49:21 CEST 2009

Hi Olaf,

> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:22:05 +0200
> From: Olaf Wagner <wagner at elegosoft.com>
> Subject: [M3devel] Some comments about package structure
> and package
>     pools,    was:
> Re:     ROOT
> To: m3devel at elegosoft.com

>The CM3 builder needs to be extended to search a set of pools
>instead of just one (INSTALL_ROOT). This could be expressed by
>a CM3_POOL_PATH, similar to the Java class path:
>
>   CM3_POOL_PATH=/home/wagner/cm3:/home/projects/banana/cm3:/usr/local/cm3

Yes, I like it.  I could then ship my data reduction
libraries to an appropriate "pool", and then all the
different programs that make use of those libraries,
can access them.  This would not require "root" privileges.
If this were a work group pool, then it would only need
"group" ones.  If a private pool such as ${HOME}/m3work
(the old WDROOT), I wouldn't need any special privileges.

How would we specify the pool to which we desire to ship?
Command line argument?

  --pool-install-path=${MYPROJECT}/m3pool
  -p ${MYPROJECT}/m3pool

Environment Variable?
   M3_INSTALL_POOL=${MYPROJECT}/m3pool

>To satisfy package imports, the builder would start searching in the
>first pool and continue until it has found an appropriate package.
>This way local or project changes could easily be tested and integrated
>before being `promoted' to a higher level.
>
>For backward compatibility reasons, there should be a default pool
>(/usr/local/cm3) which is used when nothing else is defined.

We could also make use of the paths built into M3Config,
as part of the default search pool path.  That is the
reason that M3Config exists, so M3 programs can find at
run-time the main installation pool, and its components
(bin, lib, pkg, ..., etc).

| Peter P. Eiserloh                                      |