[M3devel] Fwd: Problems with the linker

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Jul 13 08:55:57 CEST 2009

Something for Jay or Randy again... please help to find the correct linker.

Olaf

----- Forwarded message from clever92000 at yahoo.com.br -----
     Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:51:48 -0300
     From: Cleverson <clever92000 at yahoo.com.br>
  Subject: Problems with the linker
       To: m3-support at elego.de

Hello:

In case my following question can better be answered at the m3devel
mailing list, please subscribe me.

I'd like to learn Modula-3, so I'm trying to set up CM3 on my Windows XP
system. I'm not sure about the differences between the "bin" and the
"std" cm3 distributions, but from what I could understand, the later
contains more pre-compiled DLL libraries, so I decided to go with it.

I unpacked the file "cm3-std-NT386-d5.8.1.zip" to the root of my E:
partition, then renamed the root cm3's folder to cm3, then set the PATH
variable to include E:\cm3\bin. When I try to build a hello test
program, I receive an error saying it cannot find the "link" command,
then the linking process fails.

The installation instructions state that I should have the Windows SDK.
If my problem is actually that I'm missing it, can you point me to where
I can grabe it please?

Anyways, I'd like to know why cm3 doesn't have its own linker, that it
needs the Windows SDK linker, unlike other language's compilers such as
FreePascal?

Many thanks for any help

Cleverson

----- End forwarded message -----