[M3devel] Request web page updates

Peter Eiserloh eiserlohpp at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 19:26:40 CEST 2009

Hi Olaf,

Lets try to get the web site into "ship shape", getting ready
for visitors coming to check us out, after reading about the
latest release.  Can your servers handle the Slashdot effect?

Anyways, here are a few suggestions.

1 - Downloads: Could you put a link to the tarball for the
5.8.x release canididate (RC2) onto the web server, more
specifically on

   http://opencm3.net/download.html

Once, the final version if 5.8.x is released, remove the link to the
RCx tarball, in favor of a permanent link to that final release,
just like the 5.4 release.

2 - News: (a) It would also be very nice if the "home" or start page
brings up "news" items.  I always forget to look at the
current news page.  Actually I just discovered that it is
there.

(b) You should add a news item promoting the use of the release
candidate, to help expose any regressions before the final
release.

(c) The major changes to the compiler should be listed
somewhere, since the last release shown on the download
page.  Right now the last release indicated is 5.4.
There are some snapshots of 5.5, but not final release
of 5.5.

3 - About-CM3: The "About CM3" page, should have a section
listing all the changes / enhancements to the language that
it accepts vice that described in the language reference
from Nelson's SPWM3.

For example, WIDECHAR, LONGINT are two new primitive types.

Also list all the pragmas recognized by the compiler as
that is a compiler unique issue.

   http://opencm3.net/about-cm3.html

It should also list all the architectures that are supported
by the compiler.  These should always reflect those of the
latest "release" version of the compiler.

4 - FAQ: Is there a way to get a single page for the FAQ
for the FAQ, one that is easy to print?

I haven't had the time to look it over yet, so in time,
I will be asking "questions", that we may want to add
as FAQ items.

5 - ROADMAP: We should have a page on which we record
suggestions for changes to the compiler, libraries, and
build system.  This should capture the long term goals
which require thinking and concurrence among the community.
Simple things such as bug fixes would not be listed here.

These requested changes (and amendments to them), could
then be prioritized, and tracked.

| Peter P. Eiserloh                                      |