[M3devel] ROOT

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 2 21:47:23 CEST 2009

I half agree.

It'll be a few hours/days, maybe a week, but I'll take a stab at only putting the files in lib.

I don't know if it'll be easy or not but I'll try.

Therefore no hardlinks.

But still $origin.

 Unless maybe there is consensus that install must be /usr/local/cm3, unless you build/link yourself, then you can chose.

 And the distribution building will have to be sure to...um...? Be done as root and impact the running system??? No..

 Well, distribution building can make it work somehow, by using -rpath /usr/local/cm3/lib, even if ld is pointed at /tmp/cm3/lib/libfoo.so. I can look into that, if there is actually firm consensus against $origin and for full paths, and for taking away user choice of install location...but...but....what about non-admin installs? They have to rebuild? As a non-admin installer on cm3, I can probably live with that, but not sure about others..seems not great. Another option is to link upon install, or "fixup" the paths on systems that can do that without relinking.

   Again I come back to favoring origin pretty strongly.

Hard links seem perfectly migratable..they tar and untar at least..

 I get it probably though -- what flags to use to cp? There are too many options, it confuses me.

  I know hard links can't cross file systems, but often people only hardlink "nearby" files that are the same file system anyway.

  Hardlinks don't survive on Windows FAT filesystem, probably nobody cares. They work fine on NTFS.

  Some copy utilities might break them though, yeah, that happens.

Full paths not using $origin aren't migratable.

 - Jay