[M3devel] Release notes comments

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 18 13:42:29 CEST 2009

> > 4.  I don't understand the "-bin-ws-" concept of "precompiled user
> > workspace" and how it would be useful.  Please elaborate.
>
> Copied from a mail I sent to Jay some weeks ago:

I actually still don't understand that.
Archiving up the installed form includes source.
What is the value of doing the ship/directory reorganization upon install?

However, it is kind of a step toward a distribution that includes assembly
for everything and then assemble, c compile, link, and ship on the target.
(You might even use autoconf/libtool, though their powers will be severely
constrained by the presence of assembly.)
And such a distribution is easily cross built for all targets in one fell automated
swoop on one host, good, valuable that way.

> Yes, I haven't spent much thought on Windows until now. I hoped that
> you or Jay will do that. Of course I've also overseen the install.cmd
> scripts for Windows :-/ Should we use cmd or bat? Could somebody
> quickly provide the equivalent of this loop, so that I can
> automate it?

There are recent builds on http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/index.html.

http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.1.zip
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.1.msi