[M3devel] Release notes comments

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Jul 18 13:56:25 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

>> > 4.  I don't understand the "-bin-ws-" concept of "precompiled user
>> > workspace" and how it would be useful.  Please elaborate.
>>
>> Copied from a mail I sent to Jay some weeks ago:
>
> I actually still don't understand that.
Strange.

> Archiving up the installed form includes source.
No, only partial sources (historically the IFs, in CM3 modules, too --
but no makefiles for example).

> What is the value of doing the ship/directory reorganization upon install?
Easiest way to combine complete _usable_ source and binary products.

> However, it is kind of a step toward a distribution that includes assembly
> for everything and then assemble, c compile, link, and ship on the target.
> (You might even use autoconf/libtool, though their powers will be severely
> constrained by the presence of assembly.)
> And such a distribution is easily cross built for all targets in one
>  fell automated
> swoop on one host, good, valuable that way.
>
>> Yes, I haven't spent much thought on Windows until now. I hoped that
>> you or Jay will do that. Of course I've also overseen the install.cmd
>> scripts for Windows :-/ Should we use cmd or bat? Could somebody
>> quickly provide the equivalent of this loop, so that I can
>> automate it?

> There are recent builds on
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/index.html.
>
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.1.zip
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.1.msi
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-std-NT386-d5.8.1.msi
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-std-NT386-d5.8.1.zip
>
> as well as:
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-AMD64_LINUX-d5.8.1.deb
[...]
> sorry..

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about installation
archives for Windows for RC2 as they are described in the release
notes. There are none.

I can build them myself, but then it will take another couple of weeks.
No hurry needed though, as we haven't fixed RC2 yet.

Olaf