[M3devel] Release notes comments

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 18 14:12:48 CEST 2009

"usable source" as in editable and then rebuildable?
Ok, that I see.

> No, only partial sources (historically the IFs, in CM3 modules, too --

I didn't realize the history but I did notice the option and considered
it to shrink the distributions, but the source is useful for debugging.

> but no makefiles for example).

To serve as examples and to make it buildable? Ok.

Then I like it. :)

Like, it is gentler than having newbies use cvs, and
gets the versions that match their binaries.

Change the release notes?
Well, er, um, I guess the "ws" form on Windows might be nice too.

You can say this:
install.cmd:
SetLocal
set root=%~dp0
set pkgs=
set pkgs=%pkgs% m3-sys/cm3
set pkgs=%pkgs% m3-sys/m3quake

set pkgs=%pkgs% m3-libs/m3core
etc.

for %%a in (%pkgs%) do call :F1 %%a || exit /b 1
goto :eof

:F1
set b=%1

rem replace forward slashes with backward slashes

set b=%b:/=\%

cd %root%\%b% || exit /b 1

cm3 -ship || exit /b 1

goto :eof

There is an implied label :eof at the end of files.
"goto :eof" is how you "return".

You can also create
pkgs.txt:
m3-sys/cm3
m3-sys/m3quake
etc.

install.cmd
SetLocal
set root=%~dp0

for /f %%a in (%root%\pkgs.txt) do call :F1 %%a || exit /b 1
goto :eof

:F1
set b=%1
rem replace forward slashes with backward slashes
set b=%b:/=\%

cd %root%\%b% || exit /b 1
cm3 -ship || exit /b 1

goto :eof

I guess ideally pkgs.txt is identical files across all platforms, though
maybe alter the newlines, and then you write install.sh and install.cmd
that are constant and look for pkgs.txt "next to" them?

This "advanced" sort of cmd won't work on Win9x but it should work
pretty far back on NT like to 4.0 or maybe 3.51.

For Win9x compat, and actual even for sanity, you'd might want to consider
install.js or install.vbs. .js is a pretty ok language and .cmd is awful after
a few lines.

I guess I'll do this -- install.cmd + pkgs.txt.

 - Jay