[M3devel] tinderbox status improvements/diagnosis

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Jul 20 14:51:42 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

>> I think the problem may be that birch is operating under high load
>> (at least has done all the weekend), and my attempts to do complete
>> cm3 build didn't alleviate the situation ;-)
>>
>> There's something weird going on, but unfortunately our system
>> administration people are scarce currently due to holidays...
>
> Could be me?, esp. my repeated Tinderbox runs, doing cvs checkout
> over and over?
> No more than three concurrently and not in a loop, but stil..
> Three: LINUXLIBC6, PPC_LINUX, SPARC32_LINUX.
> I can try just one at a time.

That should be normal business; I rather meant things like the
three large bzip2 processes running all day for backup purposes
and eating all the cpu time...

> And, I added -z3 to the checkout? Good/bad/other?
> gzip is supposedly very non-taxing and I think -z3 is like gzip.

I found that it's often counter productive to use compression;
however, most times small levels are more pratical, so I'd suggest
you try -z1.

> I've heard cvs is a cpu hog, it's one reason people switch away from
>  it (which I hope we'll do after this release..)

Not that I know... it usually sleeps while waiting for file i/o.

> I'll check about the cvs exit code.
>
> A few times control-c-ed cvs and my birch ssh would show some errors
>  on syslogd about cvs.

Have seen those too yesterday...

Olaf