[M3devel] Dependency on msvcr80.dll

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 29 05:16:26 CEST 2009

The compiler isn't relevant.
The libraries are.
You might as well consider them as one indivisable unit, but they aren't quite.
I don't yet fully understand the situation.
Until/unless I/we do, we'll build a distribution per VC version. I should have renamed the below
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc90.zip or such but I was lazy and took advantage of there being no other 5.8.2 currently.

Stay tuned (but don't hold your breath) for
cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc80.zip

and speak up as to which, IF ANY, of these is desired:

 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc71.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc70.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc60.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc50.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc42.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc41.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc40.zip
 cm3-min-NT386-d5.8.2-vc20.zip
 (I haven't yet acquired the 32bit 1.0 version, but all the others have been tested surprisingly recently.)

For that matter, among:
  Borland 5.5 (free "beer")
  Metrowerks 6, 7, 8
  Digital Mars (free "beer")
  Open Watcom (free and open source)

speak up as to which, IF ANY, are desired, and what to call the target.
My experiment to call everything NT386 I've decided was a failure.
 I'll fix that in the next release.
I386_NT_DIGITALMARS, I386_NT_WATCOM, I386_NT_CODEWARRIOR, I386_NT_BORLAND ?
I386_NT_DMARS, I386_NT_WAT, I386_CW I386_NT_MWCW, I386_NT_BOR???
Borland seems to still be under development but current versions are expensive.

I guess I should learn the jmpbuf size of all of those and see if everyone is close and if so use the largest of them. Then it's simply a matter of ensuring we use C wrappers enough (probably already do), and getting the compiler/linker switches reasonable on the config files.