[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jun 18 13:43:34 CEST 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> Is it time for me to make another try at installing cm3 from scratch?
> In particular, do you think most of the problems I reported with
> documentation and archives, etc., have been solved?  I really want to
> get m3 working on this laptop, but I also want to provide the most
> useful problem reports.
>
> I'm definitely trying to act like a naive user in these installation
> attempts (which means I'm trying to act stupider than I am).

I've now put some initial release engineering documentation onto
birch, available at

   http://www.opencm3.net/releng

It is not linked yet to the main web pages.

There are archives for AMD64 built on birch, and current archives for
FreeBSD4 should arrive within the next hours (depending on the upload
speed of my home link :-).

Please try one of those platforms as an example, if possible, before we
proceed to perform the builds on other targets.

Feel free to update/fix/extend the documentation in

   www/releng/index-frag.html

We will also need to add some more system specifics for Windows users.
Perhaps Randy or Jay will look at that.

All RC1 archives can be built and shipped to birch with

   SHIPRC=yes ./scripts/make-dist.sh

Contributions for all missing platforms are welcome; but I'd suggest
to wait for the first doc and script fixes before we announce the
availability for the first release candidate.

I'd also like to add links for any system-specific installation packages
which might be available. Of course, these should contain the same
RC version as the standard archives.

Please everybody, add corrections and extended information as you see fit.

Thanks for your patience and continuing support,

Olaf