[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 18 14:52:29 CEST 2009

ps: NT386 isn't in the list.

Interix btw is something you free "beer" download and install on some versions of Windows (XP, 2003, I think 2000), and is an optional component you can just enable on newer version (2003R2, Vista, 2008).
So maybe Windows and/or NT should be mentioned there.
Support will likely only be for 3.5 or newer, since that is when pthreads support was added, and it is already fairly old.

NT386GNU and NT386MINGNU are missing also, but that's ok.

I kind of like the idea of there being "tiers" of platforms.
Two or maybe three.
The more supported and the less supported.

I would suggest:

tier 1:
 LINUXLIBC6 (aka I386_LINUX)
 AMD64_LINUX
 FreeBSD4 (aka I386_FREEBSD)
 AMD64_FREEBSD
 AMD64_LINUX
 I386_LINUX
 SOLgnu

tier 2:
 SPARC32_LINUX
 SPARC64_LINUX
 *_OPENBSD
 *_NETBSD, NetBSD2i386
 SOLsun
 PPC_*
 MIPS*_*

tier 3:
 could probably be done easily/quickly if anyone wanted and hardware made available, if gcc 4.2 or 4.3 already supports it
 (You see, a C backend would extend support to more systems..Plan9 for example...)

This is based on apparent number of users.
I don't draw a distinction between I386_DARWIN and AMD64_DARWIN because they run on nearly the exact same systems, nearly. (except non-Apple hardware, a few old x86 Macs, and maybe Apple TV).

It might be reasonable as well to say a platform can only be tier 1 if has a Tinderbox running.
That would knock the list down a lot though.