[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jun 18 15:06:36 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> ps: NT386 isn't in the list.
>
> Interix btw is something you free "beer" download and install on
> some versions of Windows (XP, 2003, I think 2000), and is an
> optional component you can just enable on newer version (2003R2,
> Vista, 2008).
> So maybe Windows and/or NT should be mentioned there.
> Support will likely only be for 3.5 or newer, since that is when
> pthreads support was added, and it is already fairly old.
>

> NT386GNU and NT386MINGNU are missing also, but that's ok.

Jay, could you please add appropriate config files for
NT386 and NT386GNU to the config-no-install directory? I was of
the opinion, that your config files there were complete.

I'd like to be both these platforms to be part of the release.

> I kind of like the idea of there being "tiers" of platforms.
> Two or maybe three.
> The more supported and the less supported.
>

> I would suggest:
>

> tier 1:
>  LINUXLIBC6 (aka I386_LINUX)
>  AMD64_LINUX
>  FreeBSD4 (aka I386_FREEBSD)
>  AMD64_FREEBSD
>  AMD64_LINUX
>  I386_LINUX
>  SOLgnu
+NT386

We should not ignore the Windows community.

> tier 2:
>  SPARC32_LINUX
>  SPARC64_LINUX
>  *_OPENBSD
>  *_NETBSD, NetBSD2i386
>  SOLsun
>  PPC_*
>  MIPS*_*
>
> tier 3:
>  could probably be done easily/quickly if anyone wanted and hardware
>  made available, if gcc 4.2 or 4.3 already supports it
>  (You see, a C backend would extend support to more systems..Plan9
> for example...)
>
> This is based on apparent number of users.
> I don't draw a distinction between I386_DARWIN and AMD64_DARWIN
> because they run on nearly the exact same systems, nearly. (except
> non-Apple hardware, a few old x86 Macs, and maybe Apple TV).
>
> It might be reasonable as well to say a platform can only be tier 1
> if has a Tinderbox running.
> That would knock the list down a lot though.

That would be too constraining currently.

Thanks in advance,

Olaf