[M3devel] upgrade.sh CFGD code seems wrong/dead?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 26 11:01:51 CEST 2009

I don't think the FHS matters here.
I don't want to get too far into the business
of supporting people (even admins) editing these files.
Nor do I want to avoid overwriting or merging their changes
for later releases.

Ideally, people should be as quick to edit cm3.cfg as
they are to edit any bash/perl/python in /usr or to rebuild
cm3 from source.

But that might not be possible.
There might also be decisions for which one size does not fit all.
It is easy to see that.
What cminstall used to prompt about are some where user /might/ want
a different choice, but which there are also defaults that suit
the majority of folks.
It is a little unclear.
Like, if postgres/odbc are in the location used by the platform's
port/package system, or did user get "upstream directly" and it
went in a different default like /usr/local? Or do they have a
custom install location?

Like, if they want to run a particular gcc by full path, or
if the first in $PATH is what they want? First in $PATH is certainly
very common, but so are other options, like gcc-version.

I guess, ideally, more of the code is moved into cm3, leaving
cm3.cfg really only for things people can edit freely.