[M3devel] archive bloat

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 26 14:29:19 CEST 2009

> These are surely needed for shipping.

They are not.
shipping doesn't require shipping dependencies. Only building does. And building has already occured.
Shipping cm3 doesn't do much anyway. It ships the man page, ok. And it ships the binary to a place other than where it is used, because cm3 is special.

I checked, the following works:

 I already have a full enough package store.
 cd m3-sys/cm3
 cm3
 cm3 -ship
 rm -rf /cm3/pkg/m3front /cm3/pkg/middle /cm3/pkg/m3quake
 cm3 -ship

> That's because the archives are simply pre-built workspace parts.

Still...

What do we gain by shipping the non-source part of the workspace?
People can do incremental builds?
In the future, if the package build / install split is earlier, it could ease cross packaging, but currently?

Packaging the source with each architecture is wasteful, but it does address version skew.
The binaries come with matching source.