[M3devel] archive bloat

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Jun 26 14:18:49 CEST 2009

Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Olaf I think you should trim the archives more. They have lots of
> intermediate files used to build cm3cg, including the identical copy
>  m3cgc1, various static libraries, etc.

That's because the archives are simply pre-built workspace parts.

> I also don't see the utility of the Modula-3 standalone libraries
> for which we include what they built into, e.g. libm3back.a,
> libm3objfile.a, libm3front.a, libm3quake.a.

These are surely needed for shipping.

> I'm also not sure what all the CVS files end up doing.
> Do the make a checkout go fast?
> But surely..they are slightly wrong?

It's the CVS meta information; we can prune that if necessary.

A generic way to prune the bin-ws archives would be to remove
everything that's not relevant for shipping, i.e. contained in
.M3SHIP. I'll have a look at that later.

> I realize now that the reason lzma didn't always help is because the
>  archives contain system.tgz.

Olaf