[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sun Jun 28 18:48:22 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:12:38AM -0400, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:05:51PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> > Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:
> >

> > >I tested the LINUXLIBC6 archive and it installed ok, no prompting.
> > >
> > >I ran it with no parameters -- unlike Henrik. It did mention the
> > >current working directory (or its directory, same thing) as the
> > >install source, which confused me. Probably as long as system.tgz
> > >exists where it expects, it shouldn't say anything.
> >
> > Strange.
> >
> > Hendrik, can you reproduce the strange message? And then perhaps
> > provide a system call trace (ktrace, truss, whatever)?
> >
> > Olaf
>
> I'll try.  I'll probably have to rm -r /user/local/cm3 first.  Anything
> else I need to watch out for?

I haven't done that yet.  But I have a program that works
on the system I managed to set up a month or so ago just by
unpacking the cm3-min .tgz archive file and setting $PATH to
point to its bin directory.

I set the $PATH to the version I just installed (with the strangee
message) deleted LINUXLIBC6, and ran the just-(mis?)installed cm3:

hendrik at notlookedfor:~/mtxt$ rm LINUXLIBC6/ -r
hendrik at notlookedfor:~/mtxt$ cm3
--- building in LINUXLIBC6 ---

"/home/hendrik/mtxt/src/m3makefile", line 1: quake runtime error: unable
to open "/var/tmp/cm3/pkg/libm3/LINUXLIBC6/.M3EXPORTS" for reading

--procedure--  -line-  -file---
import             --  <builtin>
include_dir         1  /home/hendrik/mtxt/src/m3makefile
                    4  /home/hendrik/mtxt/LINUXLIBC6/m3make.args

Fatal Error: package build failed
hendrik at notlookedfor:~/mtxt$ which cm3
/usr/local/cm3/bin/cm3
hendrik at notlookedfor:~/mtxt$ env | grep cm
PATH=/home/hendrik/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/hendrik/bin/i686/:/usr/local/cm3/bin
hendrik at notlookedfor:~/mtxt$

I don't know if this could help anyone figure out what went wrong with
the installation, but it does indicate that it isn't right.

There's noting at all in /var/tmp.  Not even a directory /vat/tmp/cm3.

-- hendrik