[M3devel] Classic Modula-3 Books

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Mar 15 00:00:59 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Rodney M. Bates wrote:

> I have maybe 2 or 3 copies of SPwM3.  I have occasionally thought about
> trying to acquire the copyright from Prentice-Hall, but never got around
> to investigating.
>
> There are others:
>
> Harbison: "Modula-3", also Prentice-Hall
> Boszormenyi & Weich "Programming in Modula-3", Springer-Verlag
> Sedgewick: Algorithms in Modula-3", Addison-Wesley
>
> I am especially interested in the last one.  The second and third
> are language tutorials.

I was very disappointed when I got the Sedgewick book. They explicitly try
to not use nice language features in their variants for several languages,
so this is C translated to Modula-3. They don't use enumeration types
although this is often most appropriate, they use global variables without
need, I remember they don't use NEW, etc. I think it's better to have the
C variant of the book and enjoy porting and thus simplifying the programs
to good style Modula-3.