[M3devel] cvsup and cm3 - drama galore! Any help for Uexec_WNOHANG?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Mar 16 07:47:09 CET 2009

Quoting Carson Gaspar <carson at taltos.org>:

> I want to end up with a working cvsup for our RHEL5 U4 x86_64 servers (a
> working 32-bit binary is fine...).
>
> So I tried building cm3 and ran into problems trying to bootstrap. The
> list archives said "use newer source". So I tried. And the latest
> snapshots failed to build. I saw a message complaining about the
> regression (sadly sans solution), so I grabbed source from CVS as of Jan
> 31, 2009. That built!
>
> So now I try building cvsup. Then I apply the cm3 patch and try again.
> Then I manually hack "SchedulerPOSIX" to "Scheduler" and try again
> (thank my lucky stars for Google!). So now I _almost_ have it building,
> but it fails on FSServerU.m3, complaining about an undefined reference
> to Uexec_WNOHANG. And here I sit, stumped. I see a C sourse file
> Uconstants.c in the cm3 distribution that looks like it _ought_ to
> define it, but obviously something is unhappy...
>
> When was the last time somebody successfully built cvsup with cm3 on
> Linux? I'll gladly bootstrap from some known good point, but I'd rather
> avoid doing a binary search to find a working compiler...

It's not Linux, it's the 64 bit targets on Intel processors which are
rather new and unpolished. I don't think the WNOHANG problem is due to
that, though; I rather think it may have been `optimized away' during
a perhaps too rigorous code clean-up recently.

Jay, could it be that this constant is acceidently missing in newer
sources?

This reminds me that we should add cvsup as a cm3 project and include
it in our regression tests. I'll try to do that some time soon.

Don't panic; we'll be able to get cvsup to compile ;-)

Regards,

Olaf