[M3devel] Am I experiencing garbage collection?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Mar 26 01:43:07 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:26:55AM +1100, Tony Hosking wrote:
> That's good (from my perspective) because I worried the collector was
> getting in the way.  Looks like something else perhaps.  I suggest
> profiling somehow to get a sense as to what is interrupting you.  Are
> you running with pthreads?

I don't know whether I'm using pthreads.  I just grabbed the source
from the web site and compiled for a while.

Critical Mass Modula-3 version d5.7.0
  last updated: 2008-03-16
  compiled: 2008-04-09 01:32:11
  configuration: /usr/local/cm3/bin/cm3.cfg

Anyway, pthreads or not, my process isn't the only one on the machine.

And there's easy application-dependent workarounds.  And some changes I
have to make for other reasons will probably bypass the problem
I'm having now anyway.

Let me say that your surprise at the thought that the garbage collector
could be causing these interruptions is a strong indication that I
won't have to worry about collection delays.

-- hendrik