[M3devel] ports with versions in their names?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Mar 27 08:23:37 CET 2009

Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> These platforms..NetBSD2i386, FreeBSD4..in particular
> because they identify old versions, should we just
> pretend they are "I386_NETBSD" and "I386_FREEBSD"?
>
> Introduce new platforms with those names?

The names seem OK; if you want to rename, this will of course
cause some trouble, but I wouldn't object. Perhaps adding
them and then slowly phasing out the old platforms will work
best.

> Current FreeBSD is 7.1, though I know 4.0 might be
> more popular than it sounds.

FreeBSD 4 perhaps still has its users, as has FreeBSD6 (am still
running that myself).
We'll need to provide different binary archives for those platforms
then (further differentiation in archive names is needed).

> There is not likely anything any longer version specific
> in the source to these ports, and possibly not even in the binaries.

I'd doubt that. At least FreeBSD has always changed its APIs and even
ABIs between major releases. Recompilation of C sources _will_ be
needed.

> And if there is anything version-specific in the binaries,
> removing it might requiring building on the particular host,
> or at least capturing their sysroot and building cross gcc/ld/gas.
>
> I don't know if the "6" in "LINUXLIBC6" still makes sense.

Perhaps just reuse the long obsolet LINUX then?

Olaf