[M3devel] m3 CVS?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Mar 31 15:56:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:39:10PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:
>
> >Is CVS back up yet? Completely?  I've been delaying trying the
> >monotone conversion because it would be nice to have only one set
> >of problems to look into.
>
> CVS is up and no history should be lost, but tinderbox is still not
> working and several archives are missing. Michael is working on it
> (but he's got some other tasks, too).

So the current source is available, but not the tools to investigate
their status on-line.  And the other archives?  What are they?  Are they
more source code?  Should they be subject to revision control too?  Are
they ancient prehistory that should be grafted into the revision tree
except that it may not be technically feasible?

Ah.  I have too many questions.

By the way, rumours are that monotone's cvs pull command is quite
demanding on the cvs server, but that sync operation isn't bad at all
after that.  Getting really old versions of files requires CVS to chain
back through a lot of reverse differences.  And I don't know if it
caches any of that in case it is asked to cough up another really old
version.

If there are any scheduling considerations I'd like to hear them.  I
don't know if I'll flatten your system, but if I do there are probably
better and worse times to do it.  (I may saturate ny DSL link first, but
you never know until you try it.)

By the way, what's the total size of Modula 3's CVS archive?

-- hendrik