[M3devel] m3 CVS?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Mar 31 16:19:08 CEST 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:39:10PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:
>>
>> >Is CVS back up yet? Completely?  I've been delaying trying the
>> >monotone conversion because it would be nice to have only one set
>> >of problems to look into.
>>
>> CVS is up and no history should be lost, but tinderbox is still not
>> working and several archives are missing. Michael is working on it
>> (but he's got some other tasks, too).
>
> So the current source is available, but not the tools to investigate
> their status on-line.  And the other archives?  What are they?  Are they
> more source code?  Should they be subject to revision control too?  Are
> they ancient prehistory that should be grafted into the revision tree
> except that it may not be technically feasible?

Mostly all the old installation archives and snapshots are still missing.
I'm not sure what's the status of the re-installation of tinderbox.

> Ah.  I have too many questions.
>
> By the way, rumours are that monotone's cvs pull command is quite
> demanding on the cvs server, but that sync operation isn't bad at all
> after that.  Getting really old versions of files requires CVS to chain
> back through a lot of reverse differences.  And I don't know if it
> caches any of that in case it is asked to cough up another really old
> version.
>
> If there are any scheduling considerations I'd like to hear them.  I
> don't know if I'll flatten your system, but if I do there are probably
> better and worse times to do it.  (I may saturate ny DSL link first, but
> you never know until you try it.)
>
> By the way, what's the total size of Modula 3's CVS archive?

I've got no access from here (can only check later tonight); please
ask Michael Anderson directly for administrative topics.

Olaf

PS: I don't think you can bring the server down a one external CVS
client; the syncing will just take a long time. Unless lots of parallel
requests are started...