[M3devel] XML?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri May 8 04:58:25 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 05:02:41PM -0700, Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. wrote:
> Hi:
> You can take a  look of the originally pm3 SGML parser that could work
> for your need: cm3/m3-libs/sgml see on
> http://opencm3.net/doc/help/gen_html/sgml/INDEX.html

This one does SGML, which XML is compatible with, but not the same as.
There was a big effort to make sure that SGML and XML had a very viable
intersection (that's what they used to write the standard).  But SGML
has a lot of conventions whereby you can leave out tags.  XML does not.
I gather a lot of this might have to be handled by the user's
Application object class.

Will look further.

Much of the stuff I have to process today are .fodt files, which are
quite strictly conforming to the spec, and other ad-hoc XMLish files,
which don't even have a DTD.

> It needs Deep copy library: cm3/m3-libs/deepcopy for building see on
> http://opencm3.net/doc/help/gen_html/deepcopy/INDEX.html
>
> A shorter help of parser from m3doc
> http://cs.wheaton.edu/~cgray/misc/m3/pm3pkg/sgml/src/index.html

This one actually seems to be designed for XML as well as SGML.  It
looks as if the SGML part of it makes it more complicated than would be
necessary if it just did XML.

In any case, the XML standard specifies both what a validating XML
processor has to do, and what a nonvalidating processor has to do.  So
there is some wiggle room in the spec here.

-- hendrik