[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu May 14 08:44:56 CEST 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 01:11:33PM -0400, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:26:11AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> >
>> > I'd rather avoid creating a branch too early, as that means more work
>> > by selecting and merging fixes from trunk to branch. So here my questions:
>> >
>> >  o Do we all agree on a temporary code freeze?
>> >  o When should we start? I.e. wha changes would you like to complete
>> >    before we start the release process?
>>
>> One thing that's essential is to debug the documentation --
>> specifically, the installation instructions, the various README files,
>> and so forth.  A naive user. competent in the ways of computers, but not
>> yet in the ways of Modula 3, should be able to follow the instructions
>> and succeed.

Thank you for this description of your experience. I'll try to address
at least some of the issues during the next days; not sure how far I'll
get.

Some of the problems are still caused by the server crash, where many
old archives were simply lost and haven't been reconstructed until now.
Others are caused by two types of installation archives (legacy format
and Jay's new format), which are both found there. Others are simply
caused by out-of-date documentation, which nobody cares for much :-/

I think it will be best to provide a complete new set of archives, but
this may still take some time, and then update the documentation
appropriately. Progress is much slower than I hoped for (completely
my fault).

Olaf