[M3devel] Getting ready for new users (Re: HEADS UP: Release engineering)

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu May 14 17:51:30 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 08:44:56AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> >>questions:

> >>One thing that's essential is to debug the documentation --
> >>specifically, the installation instructions, the various README files,
> >>and so forth.  A naive user. competent in the ways of computers, but not
> >>yet in the ways of Modula 3, should be able to follow the instructions
> >>and succeed.
>
> Thank you for this description of your experience.

You're welcome.

> I'll try to address
> at least some of the issues during the next days; not sure how far I'll
> get.

Take your time; get it right!

> Some of the problems are still caused by the server crash, where many
> old archives were simply lost and haven't been reconstructed until now.

Of course.

> Others are caused by two types of installation archives (legacy format
> and Jay's new format), which are both found there. Others are simply
> caused by out-of-date documentation, which nobody cares for much :-/
>
> I think it will be best to provide a complete new set of archives, but
> this may still take some time, and then update the documentation
> appropriately. Progress is much slower than I hoped for (completely
> my fault).

It will take time.  But getting this right is an essential part of
preparing a new release.

When you think you've fixed this round of problems, IO have a friend who
does not know Modula 3.  I'll try and get him to install it on his
machine and report on the problems.  He's pretty good at finding
problems, but I don't know when he'll have time.

If I have the time, I'll try a first Windows XP install on Modula 3.
Let me know when it would best help you get the release ready.  Windows
being Windows, I doubt I could do a second first install.

-- hendrik